Christmas is right around the corner! This is a special time of year to remember the true meaning of Christmas, spend with family, and give back to others.
It’s also a fun time to decorate your home for the holidays. You know you’ll need a tree, wreath, and a festive mantel… but what’s the best way to pull the colors and themes all together? Miskelly Furniture has compiled five holiday home ideas for decorating and creating a joyful, holiday atmosphere.
1. Compliment Your Home’s Decor – Focus on the colors you already have in your home, and select complementary colors that bring out the seasonal feeling. If your home has warm colors, choose golds and reds for decorations rather than icy white and silver. Keep with the feeling of your home for a harmonious decor.
2. Add Decorative Christmas trees – If you visit Miskelly’s in December, you’ll see a wide variety of gorgeous, sparkly, decorative trees. These are perfect as centerpieces to place on a table or sideboard. They’re also great as floor decor, particularly by the fireplace.
Choose a favorite that will work well in your home. Here are a few at Miskellys:
3. Enhance Your Home with Ribbons and Bows – Almost any “Christmas-y” look requires ribbons or bows. If you find a ribbon that you particularly like, use colors for the decorating scheme you’ve chosen throughout your home. Bows are inexpensive, and easy to find and decorate with.
4. Create a Welcoming Holiday Atmosphere – To put guests in the Christmas spirit when they walk into your home, burn a scented candle at the front entrance. This instantly creates that warm and fuzzy atmosphere we all know and love. Use scents like gingerbread cookies, apple spice, or pine. Oils and air fresheners work, as well.
5. Choose the Right Gift Wrapping Paper – There are tons of gift wrapping papers out there, so wouldn’t it be smart to pick the one that best fits your tree and the overall room? First ask yourself: Do I have colored or white lights on the tree? Am I decorating primarily with reds, greens, golds, or silvers?
When deciding on a wrapping paper(s) that will be prominently seen under the tree, keep your decorating scheme in mind so you can choose colors and patterns wisely.
Miskellys also wants to throw in a few recipes (because it wouldn’t be the holidays without food!) If you’re having guests over or attending get-togethers, here are a few easy and tasty recipes perfect for a big crowd:
Bacon-Wrapped Cocktail Sausages
- 1 14-oz. package little smokies
- 12-oz. package lean bacon
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
Preheat your oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Strip the bacon into thirds. Wrap 1/3 of each slice of bacon around each sausage and secure with a toothpick and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sausages and bacon. Sprinkle brown sugar over sausages and bake at 325°F for 40-45 minutes or until bacon has cooked and is starting to brown. Yummy!
- Crushed candy canes, to yield 1 cup
- 2 pounds white chocolate
- Peppermint flavorings (optional)
Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Combine candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.) Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces.
Chili Cheese Dip
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (15 oz.) chili (any variety)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
Heat oven to 350°F. Spread cream cheese onto bottom of ovenproof baking dish. Top with chili and cheddar cheese. Then, top with tomatoes and onions. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dip is heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.